A versatile and experienced small business director with a solid background in restaurant management, project management, software development, and quality assurance.
- Business Management
- Finance & Operations
- Business Processes
- Business Plans
- Project Management
- Marketing & Social Media
- IT, Web & eCommerce
- Restaurant Menu Design
- Health & Safety
- Restaurant Design (logistics)
2001: Recognised by the International Who’s Who of Professionals for my professional, academic and civic achievements.
2001: Associate Member, Association for Project Management
1986: HND Physics from Middlesex University.
1984: Bronze Duke of Edinburgh Award
1984: Sales Manager of a Young Enterprise Company
Currently: writing, learning (avid reader), health & fitness, and meditation.
Previously: Latin and ballroom dancing, yacht racing, Tai Chi, and horse riding.
OCT 2006 - NOV 2020
Co-founder and company director.
Grew the company from one location in Weybridge in 2007 to four locations by 2020, attracting external investment in 2018. Responsible for finance, legal, marketing, operations, HR, IT, cocktails and wines.
SEP 2001 - JUN 2014
Founder and company director.
Emissary Consulting delivered creative web strategies principally in marketing and ecommerce that improved business performance to clients in the EMEA territory.
FEB 2000 - AUG 2001
internet applications group
Senior eBusiness Consultant/Principle Design Consultant.
The Internet Applications Group was a provider of Internet-enabled business process solutions to blue chip companies. In 2001 it was bought out and rebranded as PeopleCube, a specialist HR solution provider.
FEB 2000 - AUG 2001
Later acquired by Serena Software, Inc: It was the largest company solely focused on managing change in the IT environment, committed to helping customers transform change into bottom-line efficiencies.
- Generated £140k business with GE Capital after a 1 week pre-sales engagement
- Reengineered business processes for Fed Ex’s EMEA region (ROI £150k on £10k investment)
- Delivered Y2K PVCS software programme to Abbey National (value £250k)
JUN 1998 - MAR 1999
Mondex International is a high-technology company specialising in the development, marketing, sales and implementation of ‘smart card’ (contactless) products and services, e.g. Oyster & Electronic Cash. Acquired by MasterCard.
- Focused on the change management process of taking Mondex from an entrepreneurial development environment to a tightly controlled, mature development environment under the ITSEC standard.
- Developed a two-year programme with senior executives to achieve this.
- Responsible for the delivery of the company Intranet (value £70k)
1998 - 1999
Artistic Director, Hallowe’en Horrors. Voluntary.
Voluntary position for English Heritage, overseeing and coordinating the annual Hallowe’en events which attracted around 2,500 visitors each year. Set design, direction, volunteer management and stage management.
1995 - 1999
Founder, Live Role Playing & Edutainment Club
After the work at Fools Gold, we raised the bar and staged much greater theatrical and more immersive productions. We also delivered educational entertainment for children’s events organised by the local council. Non profit.
nov 1994 - may 1998
Information Manager & Business Analyst.
BAeSEMA (now BAe Systems) specialised in the programme management of naval projects in the international community.
- Direct accountable budget of £2m over 4 years and 3 direct reports
- Fully responsible for the delivery of an information management environment for the £31m KDCOM (Korean Defence COMmand System) project.
- Managed the information management interfaces to 3 UK hardware subcontractors, a Dutch subcontractor and parallel development in South Korea.
- Social Club Secretary for company events
sep 1986 - nov 1994
Various Roles (See Below).
GEC Marconi Avionics specialised in commercial and military avionics projects. It is now part of BAeSystems.
- Boeing 777 Software and Systems Planning Coordinator (1993)
- Divisional Configuration Management Consultant to 400 staff (1991)
- Managed the Division’s Squash Leagues (1991-1993)
- Support Group Manager (1990) – direct reports 3 (All projects)
- Software Team Leader (1989) – direct reports 7 (Merlin EH101)
- Employed as QA Engineer (1986), then EH101 Software Engineer in (1988)
sep 1984 - Nov 1994
fools gold youth club
Founder, Non Profit
Organised weekly meets at a local community centre for table-top role playing games. Also managed live action role playing events on a bi-weekly basis. We also ran annual fund-raising events for local charities which had a direct connection to one of our members. Development of the club lead to work on national events with other organisations:
- 1992: South East Editor for the Adventurer magazine
- 1993: Lorien Trust Special Effects Crew
- 1994-1999: Curious Pastimes Special Effects Crew